Quality Matters™ (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online and blended courses. QM has been chosen by Columbus State University (CSU) as the standard for quality course design in our online courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its peer-based approach to continuous improvement in online education and student learning. The QM program includes:
- Faculty-centered, continuous improvement models for assuring the quality of online courses through peer review
- Professional development workshops and certification courses for instructors and online learning professionals
- Rubrics for applying quality standards to course design
Columbus State University is part of the University System of Georgia Consortium subscription. Learn more about Quality Matters or contact the Center of Online Learning (COOL) QM coordinator.
CSU faculty members who wish to teach fully online or hybrid courses are required to complete the first course, Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR) and maintain subsequent updates to APPQMR. These faculty members can request a printed copy of the QM Workbook from COOL to assist in the successful completion of this training. To request a copy of the QM Workbook, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
This article also has information on:
- QM Sponsored Courses and Workshops
- CSU's Quality Matters Reimbursements and Stipends
- How to sign up for QM Training
- QM Certified Courses at CSU
- Other QM Resources
QM Courses and Workshops
QM also offers other professional development opportunities to help with the improvement of online course design. Review QM Workshop and Course Descriptions for more information about these opportunities. For the convenience of the faculty at CSU, COOL occasionally hosts live, face-to-face QM workshops and training on campus.
Quality Matters Reimbursement and Stipend
Listed below are the QM courses that are available for reimbursement and stipend. QM also offers other professional development opportunities to help with the improvement of online course design, but only the ones listed below are currently being supported by a stipend by CSU.
Each course is linked to its description on QM's webpage.
- Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR) - $200 Stipend
- Peer Reviewer Course (PRC) (prerequisite APPQMR) - $400 Stipend
- Master Reviewer Certification (MRC) (prerequisite APPQMR and PRC) - $800 Stipend
Sign-Up For Quality Matters Training
To register for online training, you must first create a MyQM account.
To sign up for a workshop:
- Visit Quality Matters.org.
- Roll Over "Professional Development" in the navigation bar.
- Select "Workshops".
- On the workshops page select the Higher Ed tab.
- Select the workshop of your choice.
COOL routinely offers face-to-face opportunities to attend the required Quality Matters training. Please register at COOL's calendar for upcoming sessions. The benefits of a face-to-face session are:
- Meet and collaborate with colleagues.
- Complete it in 1 day rather than the 2 weeks needed for the online version.
- Completed participants will still receive the $200 stipend.
- Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
- Door Prizes
QM Certified Courses at Columbus State University
The following courses have gone through QM review and are officially recognized as QM certified courses:
Figure 1.0. The QM Review Process. Begin by selecting a course for review and completing an application at the QM site. You will also complete a self-review and apply for the Grant at the CSU Web site. Your QM Coordinator will create a team who will review the course. They may find changes needed, and you will be asked to complete those before the course can receive the QM Certification Mark. We do not strive for perfection, but hope for at least 85%, and the opportunity to make ongoing improvements.
- ACCT 2101: Principles of Accounting I (Joni Hammond)
- ACCT 2102: Principles of Accounting II (Uma Sridharan)
- BUSA 2115: Introduction to Business (Robert Dunn)
- BUSA 3135: International Business (John Finley)
- COMM 1110: Communication (Sherrie Gilbert)
- COMM 1110: Communication (Youngrak Park)
- COMM 2137: Introduction to Mass Communication (Youngrak Park)
- COMM 3125: Modern Media and Culture (Chris McCollough)
- COMM 3141: Introduction to Public Relations (Chris McCollough)
- COMM 3146: Political Communication (Chris McCollough)
- COMM 4105: Networked Communication (Chris McCollough)
- COMM 3119: Introduction to Computer Mediated Communication (Youngrak Park)
- CRJU 3155: Juvenile Delinquency (Sung-Hun Byun)
- CPSC 6105: Fundamentals Principles of Computer Science (Jianhua Yang)
- CPSC 6016: Fundamentals of Computer Programming and Data Structures (Rania Hodhod)
- CPSC 6103: Computer Science Principles for Teachers (Rania Hodhod, Alfredo Perez, Hillary Fleenor)
- CPSC 6125: Advanced operating Systems (Radhouane Chouchane)
- ECON 2105: Principles of Macroeconomics (Fady Mansour)
- ECON 2106: Principles of Microeconomics (Tesa Leonce)
- EDAT 6115: Knowledge of Students and Their Learning (Jennifer Brown)
- EDAT 6226: Curriculum Design for Student (Jennifer Brown)
- EDEC 6125: Developing Mathematical Thinking in the Early Childhood Classroom (Jan Burcham)
- EDEC 7147: Investigating Problems in ECE (Luz Bersh)
- EDSE 6212: Assessment Second Education II (Jennifer Brown)
- EDTL 6156: Developing Teacher Leaders (Jan Burcham)
- EDUC 2130: Exploring Learning and Teaching (Jennifer Brown)
- EDUF 6116: Education Research Methods (Trish Patrick)
- EDUF 8117: Qualitative Research Methods (Trish Patrick)
- EDUF 8125: Mixed Methods Research in Education (Jennifer Brown)
- ENGL 2111: World Literature I (Susan Hrach)
- ENGL 2112: World Literature II (Jim Owen)
- FINC 3105: Managerial Finance (Brett Cotten)
- FINC 3115: Financial Analysis (Gisung Moon)
- ITDS 2795: Lead Learners: Peer Tutors and Mentors (Elliot Rendleman)
- MGMT 3135: Human Resource Management (Neal Thomson)
- MGMT 4116: International Management (Jong Ha)
- MGMT 3115: Principles of Management (Hyeran Choi)
- MGMT 4186: Small Business Management (Kirk Heriot)
- MISM 2115: Intro to Info Systems in Bus (Yoon Lee)
- MISM 3115: Principles of Information Technology Management (Jennifer Pitts)
- MKTG 3115: Principles of Marketing (Sungwoo Jung)
- MKTG 3136: Advertising and Promotional Strategy (Sungwoo Jung)
- MKTG 4185: Marketing Management (Sungwoo Jung)
- MPAC 7136: Research Methods for Admin (Nathan Combes)
- NURS 3191: Professional Clinical Nursing RN I (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 3192: Professional Development Perspectives RN I (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 3194 Applied Pathophysiology RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3195: Evidence Based Practice RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3293: Intro to Health Assessment RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3555: Topics in Professional Nursing (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3555: Topics in Professional Nursing (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 3555: Topics in Professional Nursing (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 3555: Topics in Professional Nursing (Liz Mathis)
- NURS 4192: Professional Development Perspectives RN II (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 4292: Professional Clinical Nursing RN II (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 4698: Senior Project RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 6127: Scient Underpin of AP Role (Aimee Vael)
- NURS 6227: Health Promotion of Women and Children (Aimee Vael)
- PSYC 2103: Lifespan Development Psych (Diana Riser)
- PSYC 3565: Selected Topics in Psychology (Stephanie da Silva)
- SOCI 1101: Introduction to Sociology (Thomas Dailey)
- SOCI 3508: Selected Topics in Sociology, Homelessness and Poverty (Thomas Dailey)
- SOCI 3508: Selected Topics in Sociology (Thomas Dailey)
- SPED 6269: Assistive Technology (Laura Nichols)
Courses are currently being QM certified at Columbus State University through the Online Course Improvement Grant process. If you would like to have your course QM certified, visit Online Course Improvement Grant for more information.
Other QM Resources
- Quality Matters Rubric and Resources (only standard lists and point values are available, please e-mail email@example.com for a QM workbook with the full rubric).
- Listing of Quality Matters Workshops and Courses
- Online Course Improvement Grants with QM Certification
- Follow QM on any of the following social media sites: