Proctoring Information for CougarVIEW Students
For questions please contact the Center of Online Learning Proctoring Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For eCore classes please follow the instructions outlined on the eCore website.
This article also has information on:
- Scheduling Online Exams
- Locating a Testing Site
- Deadline for "Application for Examination by Proctor"
- Fees Associated with a Proctored Exam
- Columbus State University Testing Center
Scheduling Online Exams
There are two steps necessary to successfully schedule your online exams:
- The first step is to locate an approved proctor site. Here are your options:
- Take your test at the CSU Testing Center
- Take your test completely online through ProctorU (or another approved online proctor)
- Take your test at another approved local testing site near you (See "Locating a Testing Site")
- Or, with another arrangement with an approved proctor
It is the responsibility of the student taking the exam to obtain a proctor and to accurately communicate this information to the Center of Online Learning through the submission of their online proctor application. You are responsible for completing the proctoring application with the Center of Online Learning and scheduling your appointment with the testing site you obtain.
- The second step (after scheduling the exam with the proctor of your choice) is to submit the Online Proctoring Form to the Center of Online Learning. Please follow these steps:
Log into MyCSU, select Home, and then Forms and Surveys
- Under Center of Online Learning select "Student Proctor Form"
- Complete and submit the form
- Log into MyCSU, select Home, and then Forms and Surveys
Please follow these steps to submit dates and times for your exam(s). You can schedule up to three (3) exams per course at one time. The proctor form is mandatory for all proctored exams. Please use a separate application for each course.
Locating a Testing Site
There are several proctoring sites available to you. To reserve an appointment with your selected proctor, please coordinate with them directly. It is your responsibility to make arrangements with a proctor that meets Columbus State University's criteria. Proctoring options available to students are:
- An approved commercial or academic testing center or library
- An approved Military Education Office (if available)
- CSU Testing Center (Check for openings in their schedule)
- An approved online proctoring option ( ProctorU )
Note: Many colleges and universities have a testing center and/or proctoring services. Contact an institution's testing center for confirmation before completing your proctoring form.
Proctors CANNOT be:
- an attorney;
- your immediate supervisor;
- a religious leader (e.g. cleric, minister, priest, rabbi);
- a secretary or an office manager;
- an administrative assistant;
- an administrative academic profession like an Academic/Department Chair or Dean;
- a high school or college faculty member;
- a student tutor;
- a coworker;
- another student;
- a family member or friend.
We CANNOT approve as proctors any of the following:
- human resources professionals,
- secondary school principals/vice principals,
- curriculum directors, or
- guidance counselors.
Additionally, we CANNOT approve college instructors or academic staff unless they are employed in a certified testing facility as outlined above. Previous approval of a third party proctor does not guarantee subsequent approval.
Persons in a foreign country and unassociated with the military may contact the U.S. Embassy to seek proctor assistance or locate a university or college in your area.
Deadline for "Application for Examination by Proctor"
Students must submit their application no less than five (5) working days prior to the exam date. If the application is submitted within less than five working days, The Center of Online Learning will still process your application with a $25 late fee. Proctor applications will not be processed within less than 48 hours working days' notice. No exceptions. If an application is submitted after 5:00 p.m. during weekdays, it will not constitute as a working day. Example: If an application is submitted on Monday after 5:00 p.m., Tuesday–Friday + the following Monday constitute five business days. NOTE: All applications must be completed and submitted electronically.
Fees Associated with a Proctored Exam
In most cases, you should expect to pay a fee for proctoring services. Fees average around $25, but can be higher or lower depending on the proctor you choose. Students are responsible for paying all applicable proctoring fees at the time of service.
Columbus State University Testing Center
The CSU Testing Center will provide proctoring services for students taking online courses through CSU. Students will make appointments for proctored exams at the Testing Center's Web page. The Testing Center charges a proctor fee of $30 per test. Seating is on a first come, first served basis and should be made at least one day in advance.
Once an appointment is created with the Testing Center, the student must contact the Center of Online Learning Proctoring Coordinator at 706-507-8699 or email@example.com and provide details of their testing appointment.
In Spring 2010, CSU entered into an agreement with ProctorU to provide online test monitoring for CSU students. ProctorU is a live online proctoring service that allows you to take your exams from anywhere using a webcam and a reliable internet connection. If you are new to ProctorU please make sure that you run a test by visiting ProctorU Equipment Testing website BEFORE your scheduled exam.
Please note that ProctorU and the CSU Testing Center are two different proctoring services and only two of many proctor sites to choose from. For questions about ProctorU, please contact the Center of Online Learning (COOL) at 706-507-8699 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will set up an account with ProctorU, which you will access to both schedule and take your exam(s). Proctor Service is available daily from 8:00 a.m.–11:00 p.m. CST. Note: you can access your ProctorU account within your CougarView course if the link has been added by your instructor. For more information read the Accessing ProctorU from CougarView guide.
A Webcam and microphone must be available for use on your computer.
Cost for Proctoring an Exam
The cost is $19.75 for a two-hour exam, and $25 if the exam is over two hours long.
Registering for a Proctored Exam
- Go to ProctorU CSU Portal or select the quick link that has been posted in your course in CougarVIEW (your instructor has this information)
- View the tutorial video if needed.
- Click on Schedule or Take an Exam
- Log in or create a user ID and password
- When you enter the site, go to schedule an exam
Taking the Exam
- Go to ProctorU CSU Portal or select the link provided within your CougarVIEW course
- Click on "Take an Exam" and follow the prompts - A proctor/observer will begin talking with you and ask you some questions to verify your ID
- After the observer sets up the process, go to CougarView, log in and click on your course
- Click on "Exam" and the proctor/observer will enter the password for the exam
- After you take your exam, you MUST log out of CougarVIEW. This is required to complete the ProctorU session and prevent any flags.
Your instructor will let you know:
- The availability date(s) of each proctored exam
- How long you have to complete the exam
- If you are allowed to use notes, books, calculator, etc.
If you have any other questions or issues regarding proctoring, please contact the Center of Online Learning Proctoring Coordinator at email@example.com.