Proctoring Information - Students
For questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For eCore classes please follow the instructions outlined on the eCore website.
This article also has information on:
- Scheduling Online Exams
- Locating a Testing Site
- Deadline for "Application for Examination by Proctor"
- Fees Associated with a Proctored Exam
- Columbus State University Testing Center
Scheduling Online Exams
There are two steps necessary to successfully schedule your online exams:
- The first step is to locate an approved proctor site. You have the option to take the test at the CSU Testing Center, completely online through ProctorU (or another approved online proctor) or at another approved local testing site near you. More information on how to locate a proctor site is mentioned below.
- It is the responsibility of the student taking the exam to obtain a proctor and to accurately communicate this information to the Center of Online Learning through the submission of their online proctor application! You are responsible for completing the proctoring application with the Center of Online Learning and scheduling your appointment with the testing site you obtain.
Log into MyCSU and select Home then Forms & Surveys
- Select Center of Online Learning and Online Proctoring Form
- Complete and submit the form
- Log into MyCSU and select Home then Forms & Surveys
Please use the proctoring applications to submit dates and times on which you would like to schedule your exam(s). You can schedule up to three (3) exams per course at one time. The proctor form is mandatory for all proctored exams! We ask that you use a separate application for each course.
Locating a Testing Site
The standard approach to obtaining a testing site is to locate the nearest university, community college, public library, superintendent of education office, or educational testing/tutoring facility. Local college/professional testing center staff or administrators, School or public librarians, full-time teachers or professors, School superintendents, principals, assistant principals, embassy education officer, military base/ station education officer, fire chief or captain, (Military) Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge or Officer in Charge may serve as proctors. The person to serve as proctor must be employed at the facility. Family members, relatives (close or distant), and personal friends or friends of the family may not serve as a proctor. Before your application is approved, the proctor will be verified. Persons in a foreign country and unassociated with the military may contact the U.S. Embassy to seek proctor assistance or locate a local university or college.
All applications must be completed and submitted electronically.
Please note that ProctorU and the CSU Testing Center are two different proctors and only two of many proctor sites to choose from. You are responsible for locating your own proctor site and provide the Center of Online Learning with their contact information in order to verify and approve it.
Deadline for "Application for Examination by Proctor"
Students must submit their application no less than five (5) working days prior to the exam date. If the application is submitted within less than five working days, The Center of Online Learning may still process your application with the charge of a $25 fee. Proctor application will not be processed within less than 48 hours working days' notice. No exceptions. If an application is submitted after 5:00 p.m. during weekdays, it will not constitute as a working day. Example: If an application is submitted on Monday after 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Friday and Monday will be the five-day period.
Fees Associated with a Proctored Exam
Depending on which proctor you are choosing, there may be proctor-fees associated with that particular site. In this case, it is the student's responsibility to pay those fees.
Columbus State University Testing Center
The CSU Testing Center will provide proctoring services for students taking online courses through CSU.
- Students will make appointments for proctored exams at the Testing Center's web page. They will be asked to provide the following information: name of your school; course name and number; instructor's name; format of exam (computer- or paper-based).
- Students will choose a testing date and time and complete the registration process, which includes paying the $30 proctor fee online with Visa or MasterCard. They are then emailed an appointment confirmation and a reminder two days prior to their appointment. Appointments and are on a first come, first served basis and must be made at least a day in advance.
- Students will then contact Center of Online Learning (COOL) and inform them of their testing appointment and location.
- COOL will email proctor instructions to CSU Testing Center at least one day in advance of testing date.
- The proctor instructions should include: name and number of course, instructor's name, name of exam, location of exam in D2L, dates available for testing, time allowed for exam, password, resources allowed, and any other special instructions.
- The Testing Center will contact the student if it has not received the proctor instructions the day prior to their appointment. It is the student's responsibility to contact COOL.
- The Testing Center will call COOL if there are any problems with the test administration when the student comes for their appointment (e.g. the password does not work, the test isn't appearing in the student's course).
- The CSU Testing Center destroys proctor instructions after student completes test.
The CSU Testing Center does not allow any ebook to be used while taking your test! If you have to use an ebook, the Testing Center is NOT an option.
In Spring 2010, CSU entered into an agreement with ProctorU to provide online test monitoring for CSU students. ProctorU is a live online proctoring service that allows you to take your exams from anywhere using a webcam and a reliable internet connection. If you are new to ProctorU please make sure that you run a test by visiting http://www.proctoru.com/testitout/ BEFORE your scheduled exam.
Students set up an account with ProctorU that they use to schedule as well as take the exams. Proctor Service is available daily from 8:00 am – 11:00 pm CST.
Note: you can access your ProctorU account within CougarView. Click here for more information on this
Webcam & Microphone
Cost for Proctoring an Exam
The cost is $19.75 for a two-hour exam
Registering for a Proctored Exam
- Go to http://www.proctoru.com/portal/columbusstate or select the quick link that has been posted in your course in CougarVIEW.
- View the tutorial video if needed.
- Click on Schedule or Take an Exam
- Log in or create a user ID and password
- When you enter the site, go to schedule an exam
Taking the Exam
- Go to http://www.proctoru.com/portal/columbusstate
- Click on "Take an Exam" and follow the prompts - A proctor/observer will begin talking with you and ask you some questions to verify your ID
- After the observer sets up the process, go to CougarView, log in and click on your course
- Click on "Exam" and the proctor/observer will enter the password for the exam
Your professor will let you know:
- The availability date(s) of each proctored examHow long you have to complete the exam
- If you are allowed to use notes, books, calculator, etc.